Thursday, August 17, 2006

I thought I was out, but they pulled me back in.

I promised myself I wouldn't rant about work on this blog. I'm weak, though, and I have to write an open letter here.

To all magazine and periodicals publishers, from a periodicals librarian.

Hi, I'm sorry to take time away from your busy schedule of sending us magazines three weeks after they hit the shelves, but I have a bone to pick with you.

You see, it's about your ads. Not the ones inside your magazine (although if you took away all the ads from Vanity Fair the resulting publication would be thinner than a copy of Famous Scottish Tennis Players), not even the inserts you stuff into the pages that fall out all over the floor behind the Information desk.

No, my problem is with the ads you stick on your covers.

Around once a week, I get a magazine where a sheet of card is over the cover. This sheet of card will usually be advertising a publication associated with your magazine, which I don't want to subscribe to, or reminding me to renew my subscription, which I already have. The content of these ads isn't the problem. The problem is how they are stuck to the cover. Around half of them are either attached with the magazine's own staples (good) or stuck to the spine with an icky substance I like to call I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Snot (nasty, but easily removable). The other half are glued to the spine itself, often taking the place of the actual paper text on the spine. These can't be easily removed without damaging the magazine itself. I'm left with the choice of putting out a magazine with an ad for "Good Housekeeping 2: Electric Boogaloo" where the cover should be, or putting out a magazine with a visible cover but a spine made of torn paper.

Please stop. We pay a lot for these subscriptions, and we expect our magazines to be in store condition, not garage sale condition. We don't want the magazines to arrive pre-ruined. Ruining magazines is our patrons' job.

So, to reiterate the central point of this again, in bright red burning letters:




(thanks to cooltext.com for the image)

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You can make more cool text images on www.txt2pic.com

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home