Monday, August 07, 2006

Lifelong Learning.

I like to think of myself as a lifelong learner. I have spent the majority of my life in one form of education or another. I'm a voracious reader, and one reason for this is a desire to know more. Of late, I've been taking an interest in evolutionary biology, and so I've been reading as much Stephen Jay Gould, Richard Dawkins, and Daniel Dennett as I can get my hands on. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Learners has been useful for me in identifying the learning traits in myself and what aspects of my personality make it harder for me to learn.

The easiest habit for me is to play. I've always believed that learning happens best through play. I learn best what I have fun learning.

The hardest part for me is developing a learning toolbox. I'm supremely disorganized, and it takes a lot of effort for me to keep myself disciplined. In learning, I tend to use what is to hand, rather than seeking out new resources, and this can be a hindrance.

I'm also a little skeptical of the power of affirmations. If I can't speak spanish yet, saying that I can doesn't help me. What helps me is learning how. I'd prefer to say that I will be able to do something, rather than that I can do it.

As such, I haven't created a list of affirmations. I prefer to have a list of goals.

I will use social networking technology in my job to improve how I do things.
I will complete the core competencies wiki
I will serve on, and enjoy serving on, the Emerging Technologies Committee.
I will get my mp3 player :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home