Tuesday, June 21, 2011

keeping it simple

My blog probably looks a little simple, a little sparse. There's a reason for this.

I'm fond of pretty things, but not of unnecessary decoration. Minimalism and accents work best for me in webpages. Back in library school (University of sheffield department of information studies represent!) I wrote a fairly critical paper comparing the Google homepage with the Yahoo homepage and pointing out why the Yahoo page didn't work in my opinion. Chief among the reasons for me was that they were trying to do too much.

A good blog, for me, is all about the text, and all about transmitting the text in as effective a way as possible. The key to this for me is simplicity: a decent font, text that contrasts well, decoration as an accent rather than a feature.

So, my block is black text on a white background. My other blog is black text on a pale grey-green background. I use a font I can read easily.

If you've read this far, imagine this blog post had all been in brush script in neon pink on a blue background. Once your yes have recovered, I think you'll understand why I keep my blog simple.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Annie Gleeson said...

I definitely agree with you on website design. There's a reason Geocities and Myspace have fallen by the wayside!

5:01 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

I have just been reading a couple of busy-looking blogs and felt an overwhelming sense of calm when I clicked on yours! Objective achieved, I'd say.

1:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home